Are you scared of the word “surgery”? Yes, it is a scary word for a common person, but it is one of the most crucial procedures for a diseased human being to survive. There are several surgical procedures, but we will discuss the standard El Paso general surgery procedures in this blog.
- Breast Biopsy – As you all know, breast cancer is widespread nowadays. On examination, if your doctor feels any lump, then a breast biopsy is recommended. It can be open breast biopsy or needle-directed biopsy. It includes taking out a piece from your breast to study it under a microscope and discover the abnormalities.
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy – It means the removal of the gallbladder. It is one of the most common surgeries. The doctor performs this procedure when the gallbladder gets filled with stones. People often complain of symptoms like pain and bloating in case of gallbladder stones.
- Appendectomy – It involves surgical removal of an infected appendix. The appendix is a small tube that branches off the large intestine. It would be best to get the surgery done as soon as possible to prevent the risk of appendix bursting.
- Mastectomy – Doctors perform this procedure to treat the patient suffering from breast cancer. It is the removal of all of the parts of the cancerous breast.
- Inguinal hernia repair – It is a general surgical procedure involving pulling back the part of the intestine that got protruded out into the groin muscle.
- Anti-reflux surgery – Doctors perform an anti-reflux procedure for patients not getting benefits with medications.
- Gastric bypass – Do you know that obesity can also get treated by a surgical procedure? It is a general surgery that helps you lose weight by changing how your stomach and small intestine handle the amount of food. The size of the stomach gets reduced with the procedure.
- Thyroid removal – Thyroidectomy is a procedure of removing the thyroid gland. The thyroid gland situated in the neck could get enlarged and results in difficulty in eating and breathing. The most common cause is thyroid cancer.
General surgery is a branch of surgery that covers the main areas of surgical treatment. General surgeons treat the abdomen, breast, blood vessels, gallbladder, and digestive tract diseases. It also includes the management of patients who got injured and required emergency surgical procedures or have deformities that need surgery.