According to an estimation, 85 percent of young adults face the problem of acne. Medical treatment for acne consists of sialic acid, niacinamide, and benzoyl peroxide, which are effective and can be ordered home through a pharmaceutical courier. The catch is that these solutions are expensive; so, many people try to treat acne at home. A study showed that 77 percent of people, suffering from acne, try home remedies.
Apple Cider Vinegar:
Apple cider vinegar is affordable, convenient, and improves acne scars. Research has shown that it fights off many bacteria and fungi, which is beneficial for the skin. One downside is that Apple cider vinegar can cause skin irritation and burns. That’s why many dermatologists advise against it.
- Make a solution containing one part apple cider vinegar and 3 parts water. Use more water for sensitive skin.
- Apply the solution to acne with a cotton ball and let it stay for 15-20 secs
- Wash your face and dry it.
- Repeat the process a couple of times a day.
The advantages of zinc for the human body are well researched. Taking zinc supplements has proved to lower the inflamed blemish count in people. The maximum amount of zinc that can be taken in a day is 40mg. Exceeding this limit can cause gut irritation and other adverse effects. Zinc doesn’t get absorbed from the skin; so, applying it to the skin has no effects.
Honey and Cinnamon Facial Mask:
A study showed that a combination of honey and cinnamon has antibacterial activity. Another research suggested that honey kills P. Acnes. The anti-inflammatory action of honey and cinnamon can reduce acne but nothing can be said for certain. More researchers are required to establish a definitive theory.
- Take 2 tablespoons of honey and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to make a paste.
- Apply the mask to your face after cleansing and let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse it off and dry your face.
Green Tea Application:
Green tea is a strong antioxidant. Drinking it is healthy and speculations say that it must be good for acne as well though enough research has not been done in this area. A study in 2017 suggested that green tea fights off bacteria and is anti-inflammatory, which are the two major causes of acne. It might be useful to treat acne.
- Boil the green tea in water for 3-4 minutes.
- Let the tea cool down.
- Spray the tea on your skin or apply it through a cotton ball.
- Let it dry and wash your face.
Apply Aloe Vera:
Aloe vera is a plant that produces a gel. This gel is a part of many products like lotions, balms, and soaps. Aloe vera is used for abrasions, burns, cuts, rashes, and skin inflammation.
Aloe vera naturally contains sialic acid which is a known and successful treatment for acne. Research in 2018, proved that aloe vera combined with tretinoin helps with acne.
- Cut the aloe vera leaves from a plant.
- Remove the sides of the leaf to reach the gel.
- Scrape the gel from the lead with a spoon.
- Apply the gel directly to your skin.
- Repeat it twice a day.
Remember that these remedies have a success rate that varies from person to person. If your skin is sensitive and something doesn’t suit it, immediately contact a doctor.